rhel administration certification

 rhel administration certification Most of my career has been spent as a technical trainer. These days, I'm primarily a technical writer and editor, but my experience as a trainer informs much of what I do. Therefore, I wrote this article to help future Linux sysadmins prepare for Red Hat certifications. There won't be any answers given here. Instead, I'm sharing my strategies that will help prepare you for the unique challenges of Red Hat's exams.

Red Hat certifications command respect because the exams are performance-based, or hands-on. You are given a series of tasks based on the objectives and expected to configure the server to match the tasks. Be ready for this idea. No multiple-choice, fill in the blank, short answer, etc. The exams reflect the real world, where your boss tells you to configure a server with certain requirements. Therefore, practice exams are not really relevant. Instead, use the topics and labs from the courseware to guide you through likely configuration requirements.

I'll focus on Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) because they are the foundation certifications. A solid command of basic Linux and Anible serves you well regardless of what specialization you may wish to go after.

Choose the appropriate certification

The first step is to identify the certification you are pursuing. Because I am targeting this article on those who are entering Linux-based certification tracks, I'm going to assume you are seeking the RHCSA and RHCE certifications. I suggest that most folks begin with the RHCSA content. To achieve the RHCE, you must hold an RHCSA certification and pass the RHCE exam.

    The RHCSA certification is achieved by passing the EX200 Red Hat Certified System Administrator exam. The RHCE requires that you have passed the RHCSA exam and the EX294 Red Hat Certified Engineer for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 exam.

    For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, the RHCE exam has shifted to a heavy emphasis on server management via Red Hat Ansible.

    Choose the appropriate course

    Courses for the RHCSA

    The course is targeted at system administrators with a non-Linux background or those who need to expand their existing Linux skills. Some concepts are entry-level, while others are more specialized. The content provides a solid foundation.

    The RHCSA topics cover command line basics, storage, service management, fundamental security, SSH, networking, basic scripting, and an introduction to containers. The content is spread out over two weeks, except for the accelerated Fast Track course, which is typically one week.

    Over the years, I had plenty of experienced admins come through my entry-level classes. They typically complained on the first day that they were too knowledgeable to be there. By the end of the week, they usually made at least one of the following observations:

    • I was self-taught, and I didn't realize I had so many gaps in my knowledge.
    • I learned how to do things I already knew faster or more effectively.
    • I learned about topics that are outside of my normal job role.

    Red Hat's RHCSA prep courses include training at a standard pace and an accelerated course. Those with experience should certainly consider the Rapid Track course. It covers the same content in a condensed format.

    RHCSA courses:

    • RH124 Red Hat System Administration I
    • RH134 Red Hat System Administration II

      or
       
    • RH199 RHCSA Rapid Track

    Note: The RH199 course is not appropriate for those new to Linux.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    what jobs can i get with a comptia a+ certification

    why a+ certification jobs

    What Do You Need to Know about the CompTIA A+